Monday, January 2, 2012

Perseverance!

  About a week ago, I read a blog post that talked about choosing a word for the new year over setting resolutions. Unfortunately with New Year resolutions, we make them in the last days of the old year but when we miss a day or two we give up on the resolution entirely. This is not to say that I didn't come up with any resolutions for this year- I did, but they all fall under the banner of my word for the year: Perseverance. In the past, I have been the kind of person who would start something and be all fired up about it for a couple of weeks and when I hit a rough patch, I would give up. Not this year. My 2010 resolution was to blog on a regular basis. I made it to October before that entirely fizzled out. So now I am starting anew again. .
  I know I am going to fail and that there will be at least a few days when I don't exercise like I vowed that I would or I find that I didn't write at all on a particular day. The important thing is not whether I exercised or wrote every day but that when I fail,  I pick myself back up and try again the next day as though I didn't fail yesterday. Just because I messed up one day it doesn't mean I will fail the next time I try. Unexpected things will happen and we shouldn't pretend or live as though they won't occur. All we can do is keep trying and hope that eventually, the "resolution" will become a habit that we don't have to try so hard at. I have already fallen behind on one of my resolutions but I've decided that today will be different. I will meet that goal today and God willing, maybe I will be able to meet it tomorrow too.

No comments:

Post a Comment